Here i have come up with a guide to root your Motorola Droid 2 smartphone.An immediate benfit of this is that you will be able to install the latest version of ICE CREAM SANDWICH Android 4.0 firmware in Droid 2.
Rooting the device will void your phone's warranty. To get back the warranty , you need to rsetore back to the original firmware.
Backup all your data preferably onto the computer.
Make sure that a minimum of 60% charge is left in the phone.
Procedure to Root
- Before you begin with the rooting, you need to ensure that you are on the firmware 2.3.20 build. If you are on any of the newer builds then you need to roll back to the older version as this rooting process only works on the firmwares on or before 2.3.20 version.
- Now download tools like RSD Lite 4.8, Motorola Drivers & 2.3.20 Firmware to your computer.
- After downloading all the tools, install the RSD Lite suite in your computer and once installed, install the Motorola Device drivers next.
- Now, Download and install the ADB in your computer and install the Android SDK in your computer to get the ADB shell in your computer.
- After this, all you need to do is to download the rageinthecage-arm5, the Motorola Drivers & the Super user package from the below mentioned links.
- Now, you will have to unzip the rageinthecage-arm5 & the Super user package to the same folder as adb (the /platform-tools folder within the Android SDK folder) and connect your phone to the computer using the original USB Cable.
- After connecting, open the terminal and enter the below mentioned commands,
adb push rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin /data/local/tmp/
chmod 755 /data/local/tmp/rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin
- Now after entering the above commands, you now need to enter the below commands in the command line,
NOTE: You should see a “#”. If you see a “$”, then the exploit didn’t work, please repeat above steps. You need to enter the commands one by one with a gap of 2 -3 seconds so as to ensure that the commands are processed.
mount -o rw,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
adb push su /system/xbin/
adb shell chmod 4755 /system/xbin/su
adb push Superuser.apk /system/app/
Now you have succesfully rooted your Droid 2..